Designers Cristine Navarrete and Emily Stinemetz Share Their Perspective as First Time Market Goers
Twice a year the small town of High Point, North Carolina goes from ghost town to mecca for interior designers as 75,000 visitors flock to the largest home furnishings trade show in the world. High Point Market is the energetic center of new and exciting design trends as designers connect with vendors in their furniture and décor showrooms.
You, our fabulous clients, are the reason Eklektik Interiors sends designers to market every year. We go to discover the new products and trends in interior design, so we can incorporate them into our designs and offer them in our showroom.
As a designer, going to market was not only exciting, it was beneficial to see and touch the furniture pieces and products that we specify in our projects. We were able to experience the quality first hand and visualize how a furniture piece would work into a certain project. Each vendor showroom is styled so nicely with interesting design elements, which gave us new ideas and inspiration. We also truly got a feel for the branding and style of each vendor and what they are trying to convey.
One of the most exciting parts of going to Market is being a part of the new product introductions that vendors unveil in their showrooms. Let us share what we discovered as we explored High Point Market this fall!
Top 5 Trends at Market:
- Rounded/Curved Sofas and Chairs
- Floating Flowers on Water – A very zen element that is easy to incorporate as décor around your home
- Indoor Wicker Furniture – Almost looks like outdoor furniture, but with a twist
- Mixed Materials – Mixing of different materials, such as different fabrics or metals with leather, to create a unique look
- Conversation Pieces – Chairs that are formed in a way that it helps people hold a conversation
Striving for timeless design is most homeowners ultimate goal because it allows for years of adaptability. Timeless design also protects your investment, ensuring your home maintains a great look despite the change in season, style, or years. Follow these five tips, and you will be on your way to a well designed home with enduring appeal.
1. Good Bones
Make sure your floorplan is solid. Invest time envisioning yourself in the space and making the correct accommodations to your specific needs. If you have a layout that flows nicely from one space to another and is well thought out – you won’t ever feel the need to move walls down the road.
2. Quality Flooring
Invest in high quality flooring that isn’t trendy especially in your main living spaces. You can always have some fun in smaller spaces such as powder or laundry rooms.
3. Staple Furniture Pieces
We always encourage our clients to splurge on the main sofa/sectional. Usually they hesitate due to cost, but we know that if they invest in a good, well-made piece, it will last them years and they will be pleased with their purchase. Quality is something that should never be compromised in high use items.
4. Know the Difference: Timeless vs. Trendy
Usually, it’s easy to spot whether something is trendy or not. If you see it in every magazine and all over Pinterest, chances of a style being trendy are high. You may love the farmhouse look of white subway tile and shiplap right now, but will you like it in five years? If you want something that is the current fashion, choose to use it in a space that is easy and affordable to update.
5. Keep Design Fresh
- Paint: Simple, affordable updates like paint go a long way. If you feel like you are stuck and just need to freshen up – then painting your space is the answer! Wanting a more open feel? Pick a light color. Wanting a more bold change? Go dark. Maybe start with an accent wall and see how you like it.
- Accessorize: Use and rotate your staple pieces like memorabilia from travels or generational passed down décor and mix them with new pieces. Don’t be afraid to use what you already have and add in new, fun pieces. Those are the best combinations.
- Pillows: You can always make your sofa look more up to date by switching your pillows and throws—a very easy fix that won’t leave you broke.
- Wallpaper: Wallpaper options have definitely outgrown our grandma’s homes. If you feel like going the extra mile when changing up a wall, definitely look into adding some fun wallpaper. It will make everyone who walks into your space do all the ooohs and ahhhs.